Documentation Checklist & Instructions
Promotion Dossier Requirements (to Associate Professor and Professor)
Deadline: Friday, June 9, 2017
Documents to be submitted electronically to LMP HR Coordinator.
1. Promotion Checklist
The checklist is to be submitted with your dossier.
2. Cover Letter
Address the following points in your letter (~3 pages):
- reason for seeking promotion (e.g. excellence in research and competence in teaching)
- short narrative of your academic career history.
- brief summary of your accomplishments and its impact since your last promotion or since your appointment (please list your most significant accomplishments first):
- research, if applicable
- creative professional activity, if applicable
- administrative service
- outline future direction
- Write your letter so that a non-specialist in your field could understand.
- Promotion at the Associate Professor level must be supported by evidence of an impact (recognition) at the national level. Scholarship for promotion at the level of Full Professor must be supported by a distinguished international reputation.
3. Curriculum Vitae
- Use the Faculty of Medicine CV template
- Faculty of Medicine CV, Teaching and Education Report and Data Summary Sheet templates can be found under
4. Most Signficiant Publications
- List of 5 most significant publications & including a short paragraph describing the significance and your contribution
- Copies of your 5 most significant publications
5. Research Documentation, if applicable
- Research Statement and impact (as a pdf document)
- Attach Data Summary Sheets (use templates)
6. Creative Professional Activity Documentation, if applicable
If this section applies to you, please read the LMP Promotions Task Force - CPA Report. It is important to write a compelling narrative to describe your activities.
- CPA Report (use template)
- Your report must give the reader a clear and concise view of your accomplishments, the impact and the evidence of this impact. The report should:
- Describe your key accomplishment(s) since your last promotion (describe each accomplishment separately). It may be necessary for you to provide some background for reviewers who are non-specialist in your field.
- Describe clearly your role in this development.
- Explain the level of impact or influence – local, national or international position, and affected stakeholders (clinicians, hospital staff, public.)
- Include a brief description of how this accomplishment showed exemplary professional practice (e.g. was it adopted by other institutions, etc.)
- Address the sustainability of the work. What is the vision for the future? Address funding sustainability, if applicable.
- Include evidence/proof of impact. For example attach: letter(s) of support from other organizations who have adopted your initiatives, invitations to address major conferences, conference organization activities, peer-reviewed publications, website, workshops, uptake of your program, new collaborations, etc. Editorials that illustrate international impact of publication, review articles referring to work, symposium presentation, samples of media reports and news clippings, membership in think-tank organizations.
- Note special awards and recognition received as a result of your work.
- Attach supporting document for each CPA activity (i.e. for each CPA activity, collate supporting documents in 1 pdf.)
7. Teaching and Education Documentation
- Teaching and Education Report (use template)
- Your report must include:
- a statement of your teaching philosophy, including an assessment of the impact of teaching activities.
- Describe all activities related to the administration, organizational and developmental aspects of education. Describe the nature and extent of your involvement and level of responsibility, clearly indicating when you had a major responsibility for the design of a course.
- Give a summary of your teaching goals within the next 5 years.
- Attach supporting documentation such as course and lecture outlines, letters of invitation to teach at other centres, etc.
- Include teaching evaluation reports or assessments. For example, summaries of course assessments, per course, per year, results of peer assessments of teaching effectiveness, solicited and unsolicited testimonial letters from colleagues, letters from senior members of the Faculty who have made personal observations at national meetings, CE courses and/or seminars and symposia (if applicable).
- Data Summary Sheet, Teaching (use template)
8. Administrative Service Documentation
Write a brief outline of your service activities for the department, the Faculty of Medicine, the University, your discipline, and your professional community or other targeted communities.
Attach supporting documentation such as relevant documents that demonstrate the nature and impact of your service achievements.
Sample promotion dossiers are available to be reviewed in the LMP Office. Please contact the LMP HR Coordinator for more information.