Visiting Electives and Observerships
LMP encourages undergraduate students interested in obtaining experience in Laboratory Medicine to apply for an elective rotation within our department.
The UME Electives Program at the University of Toronto places several categories of students: University of Toronto medical students during their Clerkship Elective block, Visiting students from AFMC/AAMC accredited medical schools and Visiting students from International FAIMER accredited medical schools.
Canadian and US medical school students registered in the Clerkship phase of their medical program at the time when the elective would take place are eligible to apply for an elective at the University of Toronto.
International medical school students registered in the SECOND TO LAST OR FINAL year of their medical program (NOT INCLUDING POSTGRADUATE TRAINING) at the time when the elective would take place are eligible to apply for an elective at the University of Toronto.
Students wishing to apply can visit the UME Electives Program website at http://admin.med.utoronto.ca/utme/ for further information.
LMP accepts elective requests from residents currently enrolled in postgraduate training programs outside of the University of Toronto. Contact the LMP Postgraduate office, email@example.com if you are interested in arranging an elective within a laborartory medicine specialty. Include information on the specific rotation, dates and site you are interested in.
Once a placement has been confirmed, you will be required to register with the Postgraduate Medical Education Office (www.pgme.utoronto.ca) and will be required to provide:
- A copy of your CV
- A copy of your medical diploma
- Proof of eligibility to work in Canada (e.g. Canadian Passport, Citizenship/Permanent Resident Card, VISA and work permit)
- A copy of your medical education license
- Proof of CMPA coverage
- A letter of good standing from your program director, indicating approval for the elective and start-end dates of the elective
- A copy of your up to date immunization record
LMP encourages those interested in obtaining a clinical observership experience in Laboratory Medicine to apply for an observership within our department. Observerships are offered to those currently enrolled in an international medical school or to those who have graduated from pathology residency.
Please note: We are no longer accepting applications for placement from January to June 2017.
- Clinical observerships in pathology are only placed from January to June.
- The duration of an observership is typically 2 weeks.
- The deadline for applications is October 1st.
- Applicants must submit the following:
- Additional cost and forms may be requested by the individual hospital.
- Only those accepted for observerships will be contacted.