Prospective graduate students
At LMP, you choose your research path whether it's basic, translational, or clinical.
As one of the largest and most diverse departments of its kind, LMP offers you unprecedented opportunities to pursue your MSc or PhD degree.
Do you want to investigate the causes and mechanisms of disease and impact global health?
We occupy a special place at the interface between basic biomedical science and clinical practice, with PhD and clinical scientists located on campus and throughout our affiliated hospitals and research institutes.
This network of world-renowned experts fosters unique interactions, leading to new and exciting discoveries.
When you work with the best, you perform at your best
Whether pursuing your MSc or PhD, the research excellence, diversity and flexibility that our program offers will allow you to successfully develop your field of interest and easily customize your experience.
Our expert faculty will challenge you to think critically about your work, and our unique broad-based approach will expose you to a diverse array of research experiences, expanding your knowledge in previously unexplored areas in biomedical science.
With over 150 graduate faculty, LMP is involved in a broad spectrum of biomedical research at the basic, translational and clinical level to ultimately lead to improved patient care.
Interested in deciphering the inner workings of the cell? Curious how these basic processes operate in health and disease?
Basic science provides the essential foundation to reveal the causes and mechanisms of disease. To treat the major diseases of today such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s and AIDS, we need a broad base of knowledge.
By understanding the specific cellular and molecular changes involved in the development of disease, researchers are then able to translate their findings into translational and clinical research and ultimately improved patient care.
Interview with Jayesh Salvi, PhD candidate
Interview with Professor Michelle Bendeck, former Research Director
Interview with Roxana Sufan, Alumna of our PhD program
Looking to move basic science discoveries into the clinic? Are you interested in the challenge of advancing knowledge from bench to bedside? Do you want to relate the mechanisms of disease to successful treatment?
Pre-clinical research is the next step in understanding if a therapy will be successful for patients.
Before a treatment is approved, it must go through extensive pre-clinical in vitro and in vivo studies, which will determine whether the drug is safe and effective.
Interview with Sean McCurdy, PhD Candidate
Interview with Kevin Da Silva, Alumnus of our PhD program
Professor Isabelle Aubert, PhD Supervisor
How do clinical scientists influence novel therapeutics? Do you want to learn how to measure the efficacy and outcomes of treatments?
How did one LMP researcher discover a malfunctioning heart valve? Or how is another researcher investigating a novel therapy for children with severe malaria in Jinja, Uganda?
Once a medication, treatment or device is approved in pre-clinical trials, clinical trials determine the safety and effectiveness in humans.
Interview with Vijay Ramaswamy, MD, PhD Candidate
Interview with Andrea Conroy, Alumna of our PhD program
Professor Nades Palaniyar
Why you should complete your MSc or PhD at LMP
As part of your program, you will:
- interact with expert faculty involved in a wide spectrum of biomedical research.
- use leading-edge techniques to investigate the molecular mechanisms of disease.
- develop critical thinking skills and prepare yourself for a wide variety of careers.
- make use of our "Career Development Seminar Series: Strategies and Tips for a Successful Career in Biomedical and Life Sciences."
- take advantage of our annual travel awards, which are available to every student, to present your research at local, national and international conferences.
- network and make valuable connections with faculty, alumni and other students/trainees at seminars, conferences and department events.
- engage in student-run organizations, like the Student Association: CLAMPS
- Frequently publish their findings in high-impact journals such as Nature, Nature Genetics, Nature Medicine, Developmental Cell, Cancer Cell and The Journal of Clinical Investigation.
- Are highly competitive for external awards and research funding. Since 2016, 10 LMP students have earned the prestigious Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship valued at $50,000 per year.
- Complete their graduate studies in excellent time: 2 years for MSc; 5 years for PhD (average program completion)
- Are guaranteed funding throughout their degree when in good standing.
Develop strong transferable skills
As part of this innovative department, you will closely interact with expert faculty who will challenge you to think critically about your work.
Our unique broad-based approach will expose you to a diverse array of research experiences, expanding your knowledge in previously unexplored areas in biomedical science.
- Interpersonal relations: work with a wide range of people; learn the art of persuasion
- Technical: apply cutting edge techniques to the investigation of pathobiological processes
- Analysis: learn how to accurately collect data; develop analytical and critical thinking to evaluate research data; design and optimize novel research strategies
- Communication: convey complex information; present theories and ideas; write and speak effectively
Choose from a wealth of employment and career options
97% of LMP graduates are employed or are pursuing further studies.
As a multi-disciplinary department, we act as a hub of biomedical innovation and provide a solid foundation for your future career.
Example LMP alumni careers: what you can do
- Professors at U of T, McGill University, University of Ottawa, McMaster University, University of Calgary and UC San Francisco
- Clinical Fellows at Harvard Medical School and U of T
- Postdoctoral Fellows at Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT),Institut Pasteur, Stanford University, Scripps Research Institute, UC San Diego and MD Anderson Cancer Center
Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical
- Marketing Manager, Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Clinical Scientist, Boehringer Ingelheim Ltd.
- Senior Scientific Researcher, Genentech
- Scientist, MedImmune, AstraZeneca
- Intellectual Property and Commercialization Liaison, Labatt Tumour Research Centre, The Hospital for Sick Children
- Management Consultant, Deloitte
- Senior Editor, Nature Medicine
- Senior Medical Writer, Launchbox Global Inc.
- Scientific Evaluator, Regulatory Affairs, Health Canada
- Clinical Biochemist, University Health Network
- Anatomical Pathologist, St. Michael’s Hospital
- Neurosurgeon, The Hospital for Sick Children
- Education Coordinator, Organ Transplant Department, Toronto General Hospital
- Forensic Service Technologist, Ontario Forensic Pathology Service
- Senior Director, National Grants & Partnerships, Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
- Community Development Manager, 1DegreeBio Inc.
- Business Development Officer, Innovations and Partnership Office, U of T