About the Specialist Program in Pathobiology
Open to students in the Arts and Sciences program at the University of Toronto, you can apply to the Pathobiology Specialist Program for your 2nd year.
- Pathology: the nature of changes produced by disease.
- Pathogenesis: the mechanisms and changes in disease that occur at the molecular, cellular, and tissue level.
- Pathophysiology: the changes in organ and systems function that accompany disease.
Pathobiology covers a wide spectrum of disease mechanism such as:
- Genetic disorders
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Metabolic disorders
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Human development and aging
- Infectious diseases
You will investigate pivotal questions such as:
- Why do certain cells become cancerous?
- Why do particular neurons degenerate?
- Why did that atherosclerotic plaque form?
These and similar questions are fundamental to making medical breakthroughs.
Find out more about: