Voice of the Faculty
The surveys were conducted pre-COVID so we appreciate our work-life challenges have changed a lot since then.
However, many of the issues are still valid and we look forward to working with you to make LMP a positive community and a great place to work and learn.
Listening to your voice: what is happening at LMP
Making LMP a better place to work and study will always be ongoing and involves us working together as a community. Here are some of the ways we are working on this as a department.
Only 56% of faculty were satisfied with their professional life with 53% feeling like you were recognized by leaders.
- Established a leadership grant for Lecturer, Assistant Professor and Associate Professor. Awarded two in 2018 and six in 2019.
- Launched LMP’s Faculty Mentorship Program in Fall 2018 with 54 faculty paired to date. The first LMP Outstanding Mentor Award was given in Fall 2019. More on mentorship in Faculty Development.
- Created a new teaching award, Clinical Teaching Award in UME or PGME (2020). See all our teaching awards on LMP Faculty Awards in teaching, research and service.
Although scores were high for fitting in with your colleagues (71%), your overall health was good (68%) and you are eating well (75%), there were still low scores around feeling overwhelmed and exhausted (~25%) and not getting enough regular exercise (40%).
- Appointed Dr Maria Pasic and Dr Gino Somers as Wellness Committee Co-Chairs in Fall 2019. See more about our committee and the projects they are undertaking.
Many of you have witnessed improper behaviour in the department with 29% seeing others bullied, or experiencing some kind of disrespectful behaviour (26%).
You have also experienced it yourself, with 15% feeling discriminated against or bullied (13%) and too many of you suffering sexist (4%) or racist (3%) behaviour.
- Partnered with U of T’s Toronto Initiative for Diversity & Excellence group to present Unconscious Bias workshop to faculty (July 2019).
- Mandated Unconscious Bias training for CaRMS and UofT faculty recruitment and promotions (Jan 2020). Published Unconscious Bias information on the LMP website.
- We are strengthening values of professionalism by instituting a Professionalism Agreement to be signed by faculty.