Fellowship application guidelines
Your Fellowship training takes place in clinical and/or research environment(s) within teaching hospital settings.
In addition to subspecialty training, you will participate in applied laboratory research projects and/or basic research.
Your Fellowship can last one or two years.
Clinical Fellowships: eligibility requirements
As a Clinical Fellow, you must meet the minimum eligibility requirements for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) to take up training at the University of Toronto. The Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE) is not accepted as an alternative to specialist recognition. (As decided by the Postgraduate Dean, Temerty Faculty of Medicine)
- Specialist Status: you must have completed residency training in the base specialty, base subspecialty, or a complimentary specialty, prior to commencing fellowship training in LMP.
- Medical Practice License: you may be working with patients and/or patient records. You must have a valid Certificate of Registration for Postgraduate Education from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) or a valid CPSO Independent Practice License. If you do not have a licence, you must contact the CPSO for an application package and apply directly to the CPSO at the same time as applying to the University of Toronto. You must have an Independent Practice License to train as a Fellow at St. Michael's Hospital.
- Malpractice Insurance: You must have malpractice insurance with the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA). You can get coverage once you are issued with a CPSO Certificate of Registration is issued.
- MCCEE: Although not a requirement, we advise you to take the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination and provide a copy of the pass letter from the Medical Council when applying.
In addition to the above, you need:
- Language Requirements: If your first language and/or language of medical school and patient care was neither English nor French, you are required to take the TOEFL iBT. If you completed your residency in Canada, you do not need to submit TOEFL scores. Minimum acceptable scores: overall score of 93 with a minimum score of 24 on the Speaking section. You must have taken the test within the last two years and submit your test results when applying.
- Work Permit (VISA): You require a work permit if you are not a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident. The Temerty Faculty of Medicine Postgraduate Medical Education Office will provide the necessary document(s) as required from the Canadian government office (Canadian Embassy, Consulate, High Commission, etc.) in your country of origin. You will have to pay a non-refundable visa-processing fee at the time of application.
- Pre-Entry Assessment Program: If you are an International Medical School Graduate, you must complete the Pre-Entry Assessment Program (PEAP) prior to commencing a Clinical Fellowship training program. The program is from four to 12 weeks in duration and is administered by LMP faculty.
National Residency Matching Program (NRMP)
If you have also applied to the US match through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP), please be advised that the University of Toronto is a participating instituion and adheres to the match policy.
The policy states that "Applicants who have matched to a program or have accepted a position during the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program (SOAP), shall not apply for, discuss, interview for, or accept a concurrent year position in another program prior to the NRMP granting the requested waiver".
Research Fellowships: eligibility requirements
You must have a medical degree from a recognized Medical School.
You do not need an educational license (Certificate of Registration for Postgraduate Education) from the CPSO nor malpractice insurance from the CMPA because, as a Research Fellow, you are prohibited from having any patient contact during your training.
Research fellowships are processed four times per year (September, December, March, June). Please contact the Postgraduate Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information on how to apply for a research fellowship.
Please note that certificates will not be issued for research fellowships.
Funding for Fellowships
Fellowships can be funded by a variety of sources, including hospital funds, pharmaceutical firms, agencies and institutions, etc.
You can also self-fund your Fellowship training.
The University of Toronto, Temerty Faculty of Medicine also has sponsorship agreements with various governments regarding training at the University.
If you are an applicant from one these countries, you must have the approval of the sponsor involved. Your sponsor must contact the Temerty Faculty of Medicine Postgraduate Medical Education Office (PGME) directly with approval before formally applying to a program.
More details on applying for residency training Post MD Education (see under International Residency Applications)
Regardless of the source of funding, foreign national applicants must be remunerated at a rate commensurate with that of a Canadian performing the same duties in the same location of work as the foreign national.
Application process for Clinical Fellowships
Applications for July 2022 are no longer being accepted.
Apply in July 2022 for a fellowship starting July 2023.
You must ask three referees to send reference letters directly to the LMP Postgraduate Programs Office (email@example.com).
We will disregard any additional letters or reference letters received after the application deadline. Applications with no reference letters will be rejected.
Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to inform you if all/any reference letters have been received. Please check with your references directly.
If you have funding external to the University of Toronto supervisor, you must supply written evidence of sponsorship from the external agency such as your home university, hospital, a pharmaceutical company, government agency, or grant secured etc.
Laboratory Medicine & Pathobiology
1 King's College Circle, Rm 6231
Toronto, ON M5S 1A8
Postgraduate Education Officer