Mistreatment guidelines for medical students and PGME trainees
The Department of LMP is committed to enabling a positive learning and working environment for everyone in our community. We support an integrated approach to addressing learner concerns that champions the principles articulated in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine guidelines on managing disclosures of learner mistreatment for medical students and PGME trainees (residents and clinical fellows).
- Student Mistreatment Protocol - MD Program (PDF)
- Guideline for Managing Disclosures about Learner Mistreatment - PGME (PDF)
Temerty Medicine has adopted the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) definition for learner mistreatment which refers to intentional or unintentional behaviours that show disrespect for the dignity of others. This may manifest as unprofessional behaviours, discrimination and discriminatory harassment, or sexual violence and sexual harassment.
Temerty Medicine has established a centralized hub of supports and resources for learners who have witnessed or experienced mistreatment. To learn more about how to discuss, disclose, or report learner mistreatment.
These resources include an online disclosure form through which you can submit disclosures to the Learner Experience Office in an identified or anonymous way.
Within our own department, our education leadership team is available to support learners in accessing and understanding the supports and resources available. Our leadership team includes:
- Vice Chair of Education: George Yousef
- Fellowship Director: David Hwang
- Anatomical Pathology Program Director: Susan Done
- Clinical Biochemistry Program Directors: Vathany Kulasingam and Paul Yip
- Cytopathology Program Directors: Zeina Ghorab and Joerg Schwock
- Forensic Pathology Program Director: Jayantha Herath
- Hematological Pathology Program Director: David Barth
- Microbiology Program Director: Tony Mazzulli
- Neuropathology Program Director: Andrew Gao
- Transfusion Medicine Program Director: Wendy Lau
- Co-ordinator Lab Medicine, Medical School Program: Corwyn Rowsell
- Postgraduate Education Office: Paula Nixon
- Post-Graduate Hospital Site Lead
Temerty Medicine will also monitor trends from learner concerns to identify systems-level interventions in partnership with the clinical departments and hospitals that can be implemented to improve the learning and working climate for us all.
The bottom line is that we are here for you, please reach out anytime!