Forensic Pathology Residency Training Program overview
Program length: One year
Session dates: July 1 – June 30
Program structure: Series of mandatory and elective rotations as well as weekly didactic sessions
Evaluation methods: Direct observation, written, slide and oral exams, resident portfolio
Program Director: Dr Jayantha Herath
Accreditation: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
The residency is 13 blocks (12-months) in duration divided into rotations as follows:
- One block of Transition to Discipline
- Three blocks of Foundations of Discipline
- Six blocks of Core of Discipline
- Three blocks of Transition to Practice
The program consists of four major educational components:
- performing autopsies and scene visits
- observation of autopsies and court testimony
- academic half-days
- seminars and special events.
See the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons website for further information regarding forensic pathology training.
How to apply
You must have completed residency training in an RCPSC-accredited program in General Pathology or Anatomical pathology.
Deadline for applications: June 30 of the PGY3 year. For example: June 30, 2020 to begin July 1, 2022.
It is advisable (but not necessary) to undertake an elective prior to submitting your application.
Send all documentation by email to: email@example.com.
Documents needed. We may request further documentation based on your individual circumstances.
- Completed Application form (PDF)
- Cover Letter/Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three reference letters from your postgraduate training program or recent employment to be sent directly via email to the LMP Postgraduate Office.
- Specialty Certificate from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in General Pathology or Anatomical Pathology. If you plan on completing your Specialty training before the session start date of July 1 in the year you are applying, please have a letter of good standing with your expected completion date sent to the LMP Postgraduate Office from your Program Director.
Forensic Pathology Residency Training Program
Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology
Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
1 King's College Circle, Rm 6231,
Toronto ON, M5S 1A8