Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada Academic Certification Program
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) sets the highest standards for specialty medical education in Canada.
The Royal College supports lifelong learning for specialist physicians and promotes sound health policy.
For any questions about the process or documentation required, contact:
Senior Administrator, HR
Purpose of the Academic Certification program
The Royal College Academic Certification program was introduced in 1967 and is intended to assist Canadian faculties of medicine and universities in the recruitment and retention of specialists as full-time clinical faculty at the rank of full or associate professor.
The program is aimed at facilitating the recruitment of clinician scientists and clinical educators.
Academic Certification is granted in specialties and subspecialties recognized by the Royal College.
You can hold certification as long as you maintain a full-time academic appointment:
- in the same specialty practice;
- at the same medical school and its affiliated institutions; and
- maintain your RCPSC Fellowship.
Your application is submitted and supported by the Dean of the Temerty Faculty of Medicine.
At the time of application, you must:
- be an academic physician;
- hold the rank of Associate Professor or higher;
- have held a full-time academic faculty position for at least 5 years (i.e., engaged primarily in academic duties)
You may be considered for Academic Certification at the rank of Assisstant Professor if:
- you meet all conditions and criteria stated in the Policy on Academic Certification on the RCPSC website
- have been promoted to the rank of associate professor
- have registered in, and are compliant with, the requirements of the Royal College Continuing Professional Development program: minimum 40 hours per year, and 400 credits during the program's five-year cycle. (effective March 1, 2003)
How to apply
Submit the following documents to Patricia Cayetano firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Royal College application form for Academic Certification (PDF)
- An up to date Curriculum Vitae providing a detailed description of specialty training, past and current clinical activities in the specialty concerned, and a full listing of publications, awards, grants, etc.
- Authenticated copies of degrees, diplomas and certificates
- Confirmation of academic appointment from your originating (foreign) institution(s) describing the type of appointment
- The non-refundable application fee, payable to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada;
- If you are based in Canada, you must submit confirmation you have been enrolled in the Royal College Continuing Professional Development program.
LMP HR will submit your application package to the Dean's office, and they will submit the documents to the Royal College.
$5,260 (CAD): non-refundable fee for Academic Certification (2020).
- Spring Royal College Review: January 15
- Fall Royal College Review: July 15