Who we are
What is Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology?
Laboratory Medicine refers to the branch of medicine in which patient samples are tested to diagnose, treat and prevent disease.
- Pathology: the nature of changes produced by disease.
- Pathogenesis: the mechanisms and changes in disease that occur at the molecular, cellular, and tissue level.
- Pathophysiology: the changes in organ and systems function that accompany disease.
International leadership in research and education in laboratory medicine and pathobiology.
We prepare future leaders in laboratory medicine and pathobiology and improve the health of individuals and populations through the discovery, application, and communication of knowledge.
LMP bridges the gap between the health of patients and populations and research into the pathogenesis of human disease. Pathobiology provides the theoretical, scientific basis of medicine. A clinical focus on diagnostics is the connecting point between patients and their caregivers, and the underlying basic science enables breakthroughs in diagnosis and treatment.
Advances in technology and data analysis are transcending the boundaries between traditional disciplines requiring sophisticated content expertise. LMP’s collective level of knowledge and interpretive skill covers the full spectrum from basic research to clinical practice.
LMP translates new knowledge made from discoveries in basic science to advance diagnostic laboratory medicine and to answer the needs of patients and populations. Diagnostics is LMP’s domain and differentiator.
From basic research to clinical care
Our size and diversity are the keys to our success, creating a fertile culture that fosters innovative collaborations for virtually any disease process.
We are especially well positioned as a leader across the continuum of discovery research and implementation into practice.
As part of the Temerty Faculty of Medicine at the University of Toronto, we offer unparalleled access to:
- More than 350 expert faculty including basic scientists, pathologists, laboratory physicians, and scientists
- Outstanding case material
- A stunning array of research opportunities
- Diverse training sites
- Engaging student-run organizations
- One of North America’s largest and most ethnically diverse cities
Breadth and depth of opportunity provides our students with an easily customizable experience. The possibilities are boundless.
Focus on your future: careers from our pathology training
Whether you are an undergraduate who wants to specialize in pathobiology, a graduate who wants to make an impact on disease-related research, a resident or a postdoctoral fellow who wants to improve diagnosis and health outcomes, or a professor who wants to inspire the next generation of leaders — we offer an enriched learning environment for and by the best.
Potential careers for Undergraduate students
- Opportunities in government, industry, and health sciences
- Many students seek additional training as a graduate student or in the professional stream (e.g. Medicine, Dentistry, Law)
Potential careers for Graduate students and Postdoctoral Fellows
- Researcher/Scientist (e.g. academic, industry, government)
- Opportunities in government, industry, health sciences, scientific writing, and teaching
Potential careers for Postgraduate Training (Residency and Clinical Fellowships, Postgraduate Diplomas)
- Anatomical Pathologist
- With further training positions such as Forensic Pathologist and Cytopathologist
- Hematological Pathologist
- Medical Microbiologist
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist (e.g. Clinical Microbiology, Clinical Chemistry)
- Opportunities in government, industry, health sciences
There are many additional options to consider. For example, students may choose to combine a graduate degree with residency training in pursuit of a career as a clinician-scientist.
Where innovation lives
Advance your career in one of North America’s largest and most culturally diverse cities.
Conveniently located across the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and in the downtown core, we offer a diverse array of medical practice and research opportunities at state-of-the-art facilities.
Our campus is located within walking distance of the Discovery District — a concentrated area featuring a multitude of world-renowned hospitals and research institutes — and the innovative MaRS Discovery District.
We also offer easy access to government agencies including the Centre for Forensic Science and Medicine.
Whether enjoying multi-ethnic cuisine, cheering on your favourite sports teams, expanding your cultural horizons at our many festivals, or enriching your appreciation for all types of art, theatre, and music, this vibrant city is the perfect place to work and play.